Are you happy with your current shaving routine? Maybe you are considering trying a traditional wet shave. There are several different razors you use for wet shaving. The cartridge razor such as the Gillette Mach 3, the DE safety razor, or the cut-throat razor. In this blog, we will be covering the pros and cons of wet shaving using either the cartridge razor or the DE razor. The cut-throat razor is a more specialist item, and will not be covered in this blog.
- When wet shaving, you get a much closer shave, resulting in needing to shave less often.
- The razors will remove the very top layer of dead skin exposing fresh, smooth skin. This means you will not need to exfoliate using a facial scrub.
- Good quality shaving creams moisturise the skin, helping it stay healthy and soft while also giving a smooth, comfortable shave.
- The razors are portable and easy to clean. The blades are easy to replace, especially with the cartridge razor.
- Inexpensive to buy. There are many different types of razors available. From cheap plastic razors costing a few pounds, to more expensive DE razors costing upwards of £50. Compared with a quality electric razor it is cheaper.
- Finally, most people tend to enjoy the experience of wet shaving more, finding the experience more luxurious.
- Time. Wet shaving often takes longer than using an electric razor, especially with the preparation such as lathering adding to the total time needed.
- Inconvenience. Wet shaving is, well wet. You need a source of water to shave. An electric razor meanwhile, assuming it is battery-powered, can be used anywhere.
- Injury. The most well-known problem of wet shaving is the potential for nicks and cuts. This can be reduced by using good quality soap or cream, as well as a sharp blade. But it is always a risk.
- Ongoing cost. While an electric razor is typically more expensive up-front. Wet razors have far higher ongoing costs with blades needing to be changed, as well as the soap or cream running out and needing to be brought again.
Wet shaving gives a much better shaving experience leading to a closer shave. It will leave you with softer smooth skin that will not dry out. But it is less convenient and costs more over time.